Monday, October 13, 2014

Week 2: Connector

In my opinion, the part of this book written in the present tense is difficult to connect to, simply because the situation at hand is so unique and definitely doesn't happen to many people. The parts I find that I am connecting to more are Mia's flashbacks. One thing I connected with is college and the long shot that Juilliard is. Because Mia is only a little bit older than I am, many school experiences are similar. She is auditioning for colleges and I am looking at colleges. Although I don't want to go to Juilliard, I am really looking into Carnegie Mellon, where they accept 4 guys and 4 girls into their theatre program. As much of a long shot as it is, I am still going to audition because it is one of the best musical theatre schools in the country. I can also relate to Mia when she talks about leaving home. While I want to go to New York or study abroad, I can't even imagine leaving my family, which is why I am still looking and schools near by and schools in state. I think that college is one of the most stressful decisions teenagers make, and many people all over the world can relate to Mia on this level. Can you relate to Mia in any ways? What about her relationship with Adam? I've never had a boyfriend so I wouldn't know, but if you are in a relationship, does your relationship have anything in common with Mia and Adam's?

2 comments:

  1. That is a really good connection about college because many teenagers can relate to that. I definitely can, not in the auditioning aspect but definitely in just applying to colleges. I do not find many other ways though that I connect with Mia. She is such a unique person it is hard to find something I share in common with her. I have not really had any serious relationships like Mia and Adam have so there is another thing I cannot relate to. If I did have a relationship though I would like to incorporate how they are able to be themselves in front of each other into my relationship. Their relationship is almost what a perfect relationship should look like because even though they have their problems sometimes they are always happy with each other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can totally relate to Mia on this level and know exactly what she's going through. I've seen first hand how hard it is to go to a different state to go to college form watching my brother go from San Diego to Nashville and back to SD. It's a life changing decision, not to mention the stress of auditioning. I do also understand how hard it must be to think about being so far away from Adam because of going to a different school as my boyfriend. However, if the relationship is meant to be, moving apart won't change a thing and if anything will make them even stronger.

    ReplyDelete