Monday, October 27, 2014

Week 4: Discussion Leader

In less than 60 pages, we find out a lot about Mia, Kim, Adam, and Teddy, and are introduced to new characters in the process.

1. In this section, Mia describes the relationship between Adam and Kim. Mia wants them to be friends, but they both come from different parts of Mia's life. Although the both love Mia, they just don't blend with each other. However, when Adam wants (and has) to see Mia, he teams up with Kim, and they work really well together. Mia talks a little bit about her feelings toward this, but what do you think goes through her head when she sees them working together? Has this occurred in your life, when two people from different parts of your life love you, but don't mesh with one another? If so, how do you feel about it? Are Mia's feelings natural?

2. We also see Adam's attempt to see Mia, and we find out that he can be very determined when he wants something. Why do you think that is? Is there something about Adam that we might not know (yet)?

3. Mia comes to what might be a realization in this section: that Teddy is likely dead. Do you think Teddy dies?

4. Mia talks about music camp and how she always though the cello was a solitary instrument. But then, Mia actually makes friends at this music camp. This makes me think that Mia is the type of person who would rather have a few really good friends, as opposed to a lot of friends, who were really just acquaintances. Do you agree? Would you rather have just a few, really close friends, or a lot of acquaintances, and why?

2 comments:

  1. 1. Mia's feelings are definitely natural. I think when she sees them working well together she feels weird because what is happening is not normal. This has happened to me before. I had two friends and I considered both of them my best friends but they did not necessarily like each other. When I left Del Norte, they found things they could bond on. Now they are just as close as I was with each one of them. It was weird to see at first but I eventually got used to it. And it made it more fun because I could hang out with them together.
    2. I think that he just really cares about his girlfriend and will do anything to make sure she is safe and well taken care of. He will not for sure if she is okay until he sees her. When he has a goal, he will do anything in his power to accomplish it. I'm not exactly sure if there is something we do not know about him yet though. There may be a lot we do not know about him.
    3. I do not think Teddy dies because that would help sway her to choose to move on. The author knows that she has to make Mia's choice hard by making each option equally weighed.
    4. I totally agree. And I am the same way. Quality over quantity. Why would I want more friends that do not really care about me instead of only a couple friends that will do anything for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. I think Mia is secretly a little jealous of Kim in that moment. She wishes that she could really be there with him like her and being there in that moment with him. I have never experienced anything like this but I do think Mia is acting naturally.

    2. I think Adam has always had this fire in him. I think Mia hasn't ever really seen him have that much determination and fire when it comes to her though.I think we will be constantly be learning more about Adam and his character traits.

    3. I think that unfortunately Teddy too, has passed away. I think it's just a little surprise the author threw in.

    4. I think she would definitely rather have only a few friends. I definitely have a very small group of friends that I really consider my friends. I consider my boyfriend my very closest friend in the world so I understand Mia's relationship with Adam.

    ReplyDelete