Sunday, October 12, 2014

Week 2: Passage Person

In this section of the book, Mia shares a lot of flashbacks. All of them mention her loved ones like her parents, Teddy, Adam, and her grandparents. So the first passage I chose is the first memory she had that took up it's own section/chapter starting on page 32 and ending on page 40.


I chose this because I think she is trying to remember the good time in order to get her through her current situation. Why do you think this flashback was incorporated? Why do you think the author wrote a whole section just for this one memory? Did your mood change when you went from reading the helicopter and hospital scene to reading this recollection?

Also in this section, Mia connects a lot of what is going on around her to familiar things she knows. She compares her surroundings to family situations she went through before, her mother, games she played as a child, and scenes she has seen on the television. The next passage I chose is when she shares a contrast between the surgical operation and the game operation on page 42. 


Why do you think she is comparing everything to what she is familiar with? Do you think making these comparison make her more comfortable or uncomfortable? Do you think she expected to see something different? 

2 comments:

  1. I definitely agree that she's thinking about all these flashbacks to distract her from whats really happening at the moment, but also for the reader to get more of an understanding for her relationship with Adam. Mia's flashbacks lighten the whole mood and make you momentarily forget that we just read bout her parents dying. I think she just showing us how her idea of an operation is totally different from how it really is. She is shocked to see how furiously everyone's working on her. I think this makes her very uncomfortable and that is why she leaves the room and talks about her flashbacks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think every flashback assists Mia in getting through the tough time she is in. I think she is remembering very significant things, which is why the flashback of Mia and Adam's first date is included. When reading every flashback, I find myself becoming happier and feeling lighter than when reading the parts taking place in the hospital. I also think that making comparisons to things she knows helps her feel more comfortable and at ease. I think that she did expect to see something different, probably just because of how pop culture portrays operations and hospitals. It seemed like she thought it would be simpler than it really was.

    ReplyDelete